Fellman Park (Fellmaninpuisto)Адрес: Paasikivenkatu, 15110 Lahti Показать на карте
Адрес: Paasikivenkatu, 15110 Lahti
Fellman Park covers an area of five hectares, part of which is lawn. The park served as the starting point and service area for the international Baltic Chain Tour cycling event.
As the Finnish Civil War reached its end in 1918 the field was occupied as the Red Guards’ aggregation camp where 20.000 male prisoners and thousands of women and children were held captive. In 1958 the city government ruled the Fellman’s field area to be overhauled to a national park like area. The city gardener Erkki Kivivuori was given the duty. In 1978, sixty years after the end of the Civil War, Erkki Kannasto’s Red Captive –monument was erected in the park. Urho Kekkonen, the President of the republic of Finland of that era, was also present in the statue’s great unveiling event.